Tuesday, September 28, 2004

A well trodden path...

First of all, I hope Kelvin do not mind my stream of verbal bombardments in term of questions with regards to population geography and hope it does not sound too aggressive. It is purely for intellectual discussion, haha.

So far, this is the second secondary 4 express mock class that I have experienced (apart from mine and incidentally on population geography as well) in Kelvin's lesson under our module, which explained why I am more proactive into learning issues.I have been tutoring secondary geography for five years plus already (and YES! gepgraphy can be tutored) and most of the time, I tutored on interpreting and answering questions and explaining concepts, not simply content, studying methods etc. AndI have quite a wide array of students ranging from Clementi Town to Raffles Institution and from secondary 1 to 4 though not all concurrently.

What I have discovered from the upper secondary students is that every often either they misunderstood what the teacher has taught (wrong interpretation) or they simply 'anyhow' expressed their answers (wrong paraphrasing). This actually explained why I kept asking Kelvin certain related questions and quite deliberately give the opposite side of so-called conventional answers. For example, when Kelvin mentioned about linking the relationship about family planning and government policies, some students may interpret it as government policies can always affect family planning. This can simply be tested by giving the student such a question: Should government implement birth control policies? And the answer is a resounding yes with no mentioning of problems, success rate etc. Other grey areas include linkages about standard of living, labour shortages. If only, I had my students' scripts, then I could find better illustrations. I found this a very major problem for students in humanities. So I was basically acting as a student (with a teacher hat) in the mock class trying to find out how Kelvin would tackle these two problems.


1 Comments:

Blogger WJ said...

hmmmm.... yah... that's true about the grey area things... it's the hardest part to convey. I think teenagers want the answer to be yes, yes or no, no... no inbetweens.

28 September 2004 at 10:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home